This article appeared in the Hartford Daily News on January 12, 1904:

Convict is Dead.

Man who Murdered Frank E. Miner of East Hartford.

Hazen Bellware, who was serving a life sentence at the Connecticut State Prison for the murder of Frank E. Miner in East Hartford, on the night of July 21, 1890, died of consumption at the institution yesterday morning.

Bellware at the time of the shooting was employed as a woodchopper in Glastonbury. Late on the night of the shooting he started to walk from this city to Glastonbury. There were four men with him and when they got near Mr. Miner's house, which was close to the bridge crossing the Hockanum River, the party stopped to drink from a bottle. They indulged in indecent language. There was company at Mr. Miner's house that night and he came out to drive the men away. The largest of the men, who was Bellware, fired several shots from a revolver. One of them struck Mr. Miner in the right side and he died the next night. Bellware was arrested a day or two after the shooting and at the September term of the criminal court, 1890, he was indicted by a grand jury for the crime of murder in the first degree. He was not put to trial until the December term. Judge Prentice held that term of the court. The court opened for the trial on Tuesday afternoon, December 16, and the first afternoon was occupied in selecting a jury. Those selected for the jury wer Willis L. Stone of Bristol, Charles W. Clark of Enfield, Henry Fields of Newington, Frank S. Noal of Plainville, Lester Dewey of South Windsor, George O. Clapp of South Windsor, Timothy G. Flagg of West Hartford, Edward N. Loveland of Wethersfield, H. C. Douglass of Windsor Locks, John Darling and Clifford O. Moore of this city, the last two being called as talesman. The prosecution was conducted by State's Attorney Eggleston, assisted by D. L. Aberdeen and Joseph L. Barbour defended Bellware.

The trial attracted much attention and there were many spectators present each day. The testimony closed Thursday afternoon of the week the trial begun. Mr. Aberdeen made the opening argument on the part of the state and Mr. Barbour began his argument but the court adjourned for the day before he finished. On Friday Mr. Barbour concluded and State's Attorney Eggleston made the closing argument. After Judge Prentice had charged the jury it went out to consider the verdict and was out over eleven hours. At 11:25 at night it came to the court room, after previously having twice reported it was unable to agree, and reported a verdict of guilty of murder in the second degree. Judge Prentice the sentenced Bellware to state prison for live, the only sentence that could be imposed under the verdict.

Bellware has several times applied for a pardon. His petition was considered by the board in the December session. Ephriam Rood conducted the hearing for the prisoner and it was testified that Bellware was in the last stages of consumption. The man has a brother, Frank Bellware, who lives in Willimantic.


The page is maintained by Daniel A. Bellware and was last updated on February 12, 2001.