This article appeared in the Hartford Courant on July 23, 1890:






They Are Hazen Bellware and Thomas Golden, Both of Glastonbury, and Confess Miner's Death.

The two men who were engaged in the shooting affray which resulted in the death of Frank Miner of East Hartford were captured late yesterday and lodged in the Hartford jail, for trial this morning. They are both from Glastonbury, and the reputations they bear are not good. They have been employed at chopping wood for Philo F. Phelps of that place.

The men are Hazen Bellware aged 46, married with four step children and Thomas Golden, aged 30, who married Bellware's step-daughter and is the father of two children. They were captured late yesterday afternoon and brought before Justice E. O. Goodwin last evening. Grand Juror Ephraim Wood made the complaint, and the men were tried for assault with intent to kill. Both men pleaded not guilty, although Bellware had confessed that he did the shooting. The justice bound the two men over without bonds, to appear this morning, and they were taken to the Hartford jail by Deputy Sheriff A. E. Moore.

Monday afternoon the men Bellware and Golden came to Hartford to make some purchases, and while here were drinking pretty heavily. On their way home they stopped in a saloon near the bridge, where was a woman named Mary Galvin, who recognized them as two men form Glastonbury, who were in the habit of stopping at the saloon. From her the first description of the men was obtained by Policeman Frank Ennis. From the saloon the men proceeded homeward, and reached the house in which Frank Miner lives. Then the shooting occurred, as described in yesterday's COURANT. After the shooting they hurried away and crossing the lots in the south part of the town went into their own houses. In one statement, however, they differ from the generally circulated reports. That is, that the taller of the two, Bellware, did the shooting , and not the shorter one, as was supposed.

Bellware claims that the shooting was done in self defense, and tht he had no intention of killing Miner. When the shooting occurred numerous rumors were rife as to the perpetrators of the deed, and nearly all supposed it to be the work of tramps. Officers went scouring the neighborhood, but without success. Neighboring towns were visited but to no purpose, and finally selectmen of the town decided to offer a reward for the apprehension of the ruffians, but in coming to Hartford they determined to employ Policeman Frank Ennis, and so arranged with him. Ennis remembered seeing two men near the bridge, and saw them drinking in one of the saloons. Then with the information received from Mary Galvin he proceeded across the river.

In the meantime the pistol had been found and a bundle, containing an old pair of boots with a sheet of wrapping paper, on which was printed the advertisement of D. E. Strong of this city, was picked up among some bushes a short distance away. Ennis returned to this city, and went to Strong's shoe store. There they remembered selling some boots and of doing up the old ones, and gave the same description as Mary Galvin gave. Ennis went back to East Hartford. Meeting one of Smith, Northam & Co's teamsters on the road to Glastonbury he asked him if he had seen two men, describing them, on the road that day. The teamster had, and gave Bellware's name. That was the connecting link, and after a little more scouting the officer started for East Hartford to get a warrant. He was accompanied by Frank Pratt, who sold the men liquor, and by Ephraim Rood. On the road they met Deputy Sheriff A. E. Moore, and the whole party went to Bellware's house, where it was said he was. They did not find him at home, nor either he or Golden at the latter's house across the street. Leaving Rood at Bellware's house, the party started up the road and came upon the pair, evidently seeking to escape. As soon as Bellware saw who was after him he put his hand to his pocket to pull a pistol. Moore was too quick for him, and, pulling his revolver, he ordered Bellware to throw up his hands. Bellware did so and was disarmed and handcuffed. In his coat pocket was found a revolver of 32 calibre, all ready for use.

In the meantime Mrs. Bellware had told Mr. Rood that her husband had been out nearly all night and had bought a pair of new boots in Hartford. Everything was complete and it did not need the confession of Bellware to establish his guilt. The pistol used was a Hopkins & Allen, five shooting 38 calibre revolver, out of which four shots had been fired. Bellware claimed to have carried the pistol as a protection against dogs, of which he is much afraid.

Mr. Miner was very low last night, and his death was expected hourly. His pulse had run so high as to make counting it impossible. There is no certainty as to the course of the bullet, but Drs. McKnight and Griswold think that it must have passed through the liver and, striking the spinal column, have been deflected back.

On account of the high pulse and weakness internal hemorrahage is suspected, but the doctors are sure that none of the intestines are injured. Coroner Lewis Sperry went to East Hartford yesterday and took Mr. Miner's ante mortem statement. The statement was hardly a complete one as Miner is partially unconscious much of the time, and rarely recognizes anyone.

Miner's Death

Miner died at 10:35 p.m., having been unconscious for some time. No further particulars as to the course of the bullet are yet known.



The page is maintained by Daniel A. Bellware and was last updated on July 27, 2005.